My day job is IT work, specifically the operational support of a large educational website. By nature, the shelf life of websites, the technology that it's hosted on and the techniques change frequently. Little if anything I contribute to will outlast my car, let alone my lifetime.
I was approached by a family that saw my Upcycled Creations page with a unique opportunity. They had inherited some wood from an 1880's barn that was torn down due imminent domain. As this was a family barn, the wood had special meaning and was saved.
At almost 16 inches in width, these trees bore the sawmill kerf marks of a blade at least 4 feet in diameter. I speculate that these trees probably started growing sometime around the American revolution.
Additional wood came from the trees on the property. The above pieces ended up as smaller legs on a bench while some large Walnut pieces, some 14 inches in diameter made of the legs of the table.
I was approached with a design that incorporated the pictured legs, the large maple planks and steel struts. With design in hand, we were ready to start. However that as te time when I required neck surgery. The project was delayed till spring.
In March the project started up in earnest. Following glue up and metal work I was able finally assemble the whole table for finishing in April:
The final choice in stain was made and the result was stunning. Weighing in at about 350 lbs, this table dominates the room it's in with it's rustic charm:



No comments:
Post a Comment